“The Ramona H.E.A.R.T. Mural Project’s mission is to encourage economic vitality by increasing tourism, promoting community pride, and celebrating our rich cultural heritage through an outstanding outdoor visual arts program.”
The unincorporated area of Ramona is located in the geographic center of San Diego County. Most visitors drive through Ramona on State Highways 67 and 78 on their way to the mountain town of Julian, the Anza Borrego Desert or on their way out to the Colorado River.
The main goal of the Ramona H.E.A.R.T. Mural Project is to create a reason for those passing tourists to STOP to enjoy Ramona’s beauty, charm, character and heritage, and to rest a spell. After looking to the examples set by other mural towns, a group of Ramona business people came together to launch an aggressive outdoor visual arts program, starting with murals.
The acronym, H.E.A.R.T. not only indicates Ramona as the geographic center of San Diego County, but reflects the character of the community. “H” for Historic and Hiking, “E” for Equine, “A” for Arts, Antiques and Agriculture, “R” for scenic rural vistas and drives, and “T” for Tasting of fine wines.
We hope that you stop and enjoy the Ramona H.E.A.R.T. Murals next time you’re driving through, or better yet make Ramona your destination!
The H.E.A.R.T. Mural Project involves the entire community in the celebration of Ramona’s heritage, history, and industries through:
- participation in the launch and/or unveiling event for each art piece,
- providing volunteer opportunities on each project,
- learning experiences for youth, beginning artists, or artists not familiar with the mural medium,
- field trips for local school children to learn about their community by touring the murals which are all about Ramona,
- providing a medium for muralists to practice their art,
- stimulating the local business economy from pedestrian traffic generated by mural tourists,
- beautifying buildings,
- expanding the program to other art mediums and music
- working with other community organizations to the benefit of all